Archive for July, 2008

The Big Boda Bicycle

Posted in design with tags , on July 31, 2008 by anonimiss

This is in continuation to my earlier post. This bike, the Big Boda, is able to carry hundreds of pounds of cargo or two additional passengers easily, at a substantially lower cost than other forms of human-powered utility vehicles. It was designed to transport goods to and from market for entrepreneurs and consumers in developing countries. For more details and sensitive designs you can check out http://other90.cooperhewitt.org/design/?c=transport

The re-design of the regular bicycle to serve a particular need sort of ratifies the quote-“Design is a response to social change” by George Nelson, and shows how such sensitive contributions from designers could change the life of several people across the globe.

Advertisements

Design for the Other 90%

Posted in design with tags , , on July 31, 2008 by anonimiss

“The majority of the world’s designers focus all their efforts on developing products and services exclusively for the richest 10% of the world’s customers. Nothing less than a revolution in design is needed to reach the other 90%,” says Dr. Paul Polak, International Development Enterprises

I agree, it’s really sad that design today has become the luxury of the rich, when design can actually contribute in numerous ways to uplift the poor, be it employment/livelihood, education, shelter, health and so on….. I think it’s important for us as designers to realise and discover ways to contribute to the task. For starters, you could look up www.other90.cooperhewitt.org/ to know more about the ‘other 90%.’

High-Chair that’s High on Design

Posted in furniture design with tags , , on July 31, 2008 by anonimiss

Designer Hannu Peltonen has come up with this cool solid birch high-chair concept that could still be around after your child outgrows the chair. Only, it then turns into a normal stool! And it’s available in quite a few colors. You can order one at http://www.seimi.fi/rinkie.html

Look Who Cooked up a Kitchen!

Posted in furniture design with tags , , , on July 31, 2008 by anonimiss

Here’s a great idea for a small compact kitchen, a manifestation of Turkish designer Fevzi Karaman’s modular concept: everything you’d need for a small kitchen is there, but neatly folds up and gets out of the way when you don’t. I like the simplicity and elegance of the product which required some out-of-the-box thinking and so neatly incorporates functionality with aesthetics. And I loved the compact wine rack!

The Business of Design

Posted in design with tags , , on July 30, 2008 by anonimiss

I came across a couple of matter-of-fact quotes associated with the ‘business of design’; something all design entrepreneurs and freelancers would relate to and what every fresher in the field should know.

“Good design is good business.” – Thomas Watson, Jr., IBM

“Good design is serious business.” – A.G. Lafley, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive, Procter & Gamble

“Design, in the end, is about creating better things for people. Along the way, it can generate better profits as well.” –Bruce Nussbaum, Editorial Page Editor, Business Week

“What works good is better than what looks good. Because what works good lasts.” – Ray Eames, Architect, Graphic and Industrial Designer, Filmmaker

An Eye for Detail

Posted in furniture design with tags , on July 29, 2008 by anonimiss

Talking about ‘eyes’, here’s one designer who definitely has an ‘eye’ for details – Jaume Tresserra. I admire his work for the sheer passion involved in detailing, which lends such a wonderful finesse to the overall product. You can find more of his work at www.tresserra.com

Eye Chart for the Designer in You

Posted in graphic design with tags , on July 29, 2008 by anonimiss

I recently visited the eye doctor who told me I’d need spectacles for reading and working on the comp! :(                                                  Here’s something I wish he showed me for the test instead of the same old boring alphabet chart. Maybe I wouldn’t have needed the specs at all…..